Large Investment Projects in Quebec may be Eligible for a 15-Year Tax Holiday
The Tax Holiday for Large Investment Projects (THLlP) aims to help a corporation or a partnership benefit from the tax holiday. A corporation or a partnership that carries out, after November 20, 2012, a large investment project in Québec may, under certain conditions, benefit from:
- A tax holiday on the income from its eligible activities relating to such large investment project;
- A holiday from employer contributions to the Health Services Fund (HSF) regarding the portion of wages paid to its employees attributable to the time they devote to such activities
To claim the tax holiday, a corporation or a partnership must obtain an initial certificate and annual certificates.
Large investments areas eligible for this program include:
- Wholesale trade
- Warehousing and storage
- Data processing and hosting
- Operation of eligible digital platforms
- The minimum cost a corporation or partnership must invest is $100 million, or $50 million if the investment is carried out in certain regions
- This investment must be reached no later than the end of the 60-month period after the date of issue of the initial certificate.
- The tax holiday lasts 15 years.
- An initial certificate application must be submitted to the Minister of Finance before the large investment project begins to be carried out by December 31, 2024